Making of the site
This garden site was created with WordPress (WP), one of the best-known web software.
Besides the main WP “engine” this site uses the following plugins, in their free version.
- Breadcrumb NavXT (slightly customized). Adds breadcrumb navigation showing the visitor’s path to their current location.
- Collapsing Categories (slightly customized). Collapsing Categories creates an expandable list of categories and subcategories. Very useful for displaying the list of plants grouped in families and genuses.
- Disable Comments
- Duplicate Post. A very useful little plugin.
- Foo Gallery
- FooBox Free Image Lightbox
- Hide YouTube Related Videos
- Highlight Search Terms
- Image Map HotSpot (heavily customized, especially the admin interface). Used for displaying hotspot pins on the garden plan.
- Media Library Assistant (slightly customized). Better than the defaul WP Media tool.
- Parent Category Toggler. Automatically toggle the parent categories when a sub category is selected. Used mostly for the Plantae→Family→Genus→species hierarchy.
- Polylang. For a bilingual site.
- Post Tags and Categories for Page.
- TinyMCE Advanced
- Widget Logic
I also use the SKTCORP theme (free version). Slightly customized.